Monday, February 27, 2012

Self-Created Film Trailer

This is a film trailer I have developed for my 'Technology in the English Classroom' course. It was a tedious process and I think I'm better off watching movies as opposed to creating them.

This is a bit I wrote about the process for the course, explaining my intentions: The theme of the movie trailer circulated around the concept of hard copy books becoming obsolete. Although the point of the film is not to necessarily make a negative comment about technology itself, it it does speak to the issue of individuals preferring some of the mindless entertainment some video games offer instead of exercising their imaginations through books. I do realize that although technology does enhance many aspects of social interaction, it has taken away, to a degree, the beauty of owning printed literature. Printed literature can sustain when technology fails and I think that although technology is now an integral part of our culture, this should still be recognized.

The plot was simple and consisted of a character representing "the printed novel" and another character representing a child immersed in video games. The child ignores the novel until technology fails him and he is searching for an alternative method of entertainment. He remembers the book and finds her in the library where she has retreated.

Editing the footage was a simultaneously rewarding and frustrating experience. Although the software was advanced, at moments it was difficult to manipulate and very painstaking. However, I am very pleased with the final result of this trailer as it was only the second time I have ever dealt with editing original footage. It took awhile to decide what song was appropriate and which scenes to chose. Although some areas of the trailer may be a bit choppy or vague, I still believe than any audience with an open mind will be able to grasp its message.

1 comment:

  1. That was great! Really well done. I loved how you addressed the idea of technology taking over our lives today

    ReplyDelete